8 Facts about Osteoporosis
- It is a condition where the bones become hollow and eventually break.
- Fractures that occur secondary to osteoporosis are called Fragility fractures. Spine and hip are the most common sites.
- Post Menopausal Women are more likely to be affected by Osteoporosis
- Other common reasons for osteoporosis- are the intake of certain medications like antiepileptics, steroids, excessive smoking, alcohol, and prolonged immobilization.
- Among the investigative tools, DEXA ( DUAL ENERGY XRAY ABSORPTIOMETRY) SCAN is the most reliable & commonly used. Heel Scanning for osteoporosis is just a screening method.
- We can broadly group Medications into Supplements ( Calcium, Vitamin D), Antiresorptives ( Various forms of Bisphosphonates- Alendronate, Risedronate, Zolendronic acid), Anabolic ( Teriparatide)
- Apart from Medications, other ways to strengthen bones are by good diet, exercises.
- Good bone stock formation in youth, which is possible with good calcium rich diet& exercises.
Eight Facts about Primary Knee Replacement
23 Mar 2021
It also means resurfacing. The worn-out cartilage surface is removed and lined with smooth…
Eight Facts about Revision Knee Replacement
16 Feb 2021
It means to remove the old implant and put a new one. The most common causes are Aseptic L…
Random Thoughts on How to minimise Low Back Pain
03 Dec 2020
Nowadays, We spend more time sitting at a stretch either Work, Commute or Home watching T…